Monday 30 April 2018

Helping my friend move

The other day I had to help my friend move. By that, I mean help him and his fiance pack up their house for their move. He asked me earlier in the week if I had any cheap moving boxes or knew where to get them. I told him to check out Lowes or Walmart as I know they provide affordable moving boxes. I did say to him that, in my opinion, he should not cheap out on moving boxes. Yes, they are only going to be used once, but they will give you great peace of mind that the boxes will hold, stay strong, and not get any rips of tears the whole move. Unfortunately, he did not take my advice, and we had some problems while packing the boxes and their cars. 

A few days before the move, I headed over to my friend’s house to help pack up their boxes. I did not know if my friend had taken my advice, but I was hoping he did. I have had a bad experience with the less expensive moving boxes. When I got to their place, I saw that my friend indeed did not take my advice and got the inexpensive boxes. I did not say anything, instead just waiting for disaster to strike. After having dinner with the two of them, we began to pack up their house. We started with the upstairs in the guest bedroom they had. They were using the closet in here as an additional one for them. 

I had to build the boxes, which are easy to do, just a matter of folding the bottom together and using packing tape to hold them together. I did an extra few pieces because, in my experience, these boxes like to drop the bottom and let all the items fall through. That has been my experience; however, I was not expecting these boxes to do that, but you never know. As I was packing up their guest room closet, the box I was using burst at one of the seams. I called in my friend to hold it together as I used packing tape to attempt to reseal it. We got it back together somewhat, but there was a slight gap still. Lesson learned, under pack the boxes. 



After this little hiccup, we learned to make sure to not put too much into the boxes, or we would risk the boxes bursting. We continued to go about our night packing anything and everything until disaster struck. One of the boxes my friend’s fiance did was not taped multiple times on the bottom. This caused a disaster to happen. As she moved the box towards the front of the house to be easily grabbed during the moving day, the bottom fell out. This was bad as the box she was carrying had some fine china her mother passed onto her. Once the bottom burst, all the china came crashing down onto the hard tile floor. 



I wish my friend had listened to me when I told him to get better boxes and not get some cheap moving boxes. If he had heard to me, then the issues we had would not have had even been a thought. Unfortunately, my friend’s fiance’s china was almost completely destroyed; all that was left was a cup. I felt terrible for them, but if he had listened to me, they would still have that fine china. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

How COVID19 Changed My Factory Forever

Like everybody else who works in a small business in America, I did not see COVID coming whatsoever. I think it is safe to say that it caugh...